Thursday, November 1, 2007

Mother Ganga

The importance of water to religion has been shown all throughout our class but I think that the relationship between the Ganges River and Hinduism is the greatest example of this that we have seen so far. Mother Ganga fell to earth from the sky and is her own goddess. Her waters are considered holy and pure, so pure in fact that anything that her waters touch becomes "as pure and as beautiful as Shiva."

It is strange and difficult for me to understand the devotion that Hindus have for a river. Their general lack of concern for the cleanliness of the Ganges is also baffling to me. The concept of water being spiritually cleansing even if it isn't physically isn't really a stretch for me, we already talked about it in relation to the Jordan River, but in the "Banaras" article I got the impression that many Hindus don't recognize the problems with the Ganges being as dirty as it is. I would think that if you believed that a specific river was a goddess, especially one as important as Mother Ganga, you would be careful not to pollute it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also agree that the Hindu Religion is a great example of how religion and water can come in close association. Especially since the Hindu have rituals at the Ganga very often and offer sacrifices to the river as well. They may do this by pouring something into the river such as milk or they may set an object afloat down the river. This is a great post and it made me think on the relationship of water and different religions.

Leigh Schuldt said...

I had never really known how important that river was to the Hindu religion before this class. It was amazing to see how much people do with the river and its importance to them. While studying about the river in class, I saw how dirty the river has become, because of its wide known significance. I couldn't believe how dirty the water had become through the years with everyone doing various things with the water since it is so special to the Hindu people.

jnm001 said...

I find it interesting that you bring up that the Ganges River isn't necessarily the cleanest river around... in point of fact, is actually really dirty. I didn't at first think of it but now that it has been brought to my attention by you, it is clear. We discussed ecology and how different religions view the importance of the environment. Hinduism puts great emphasis that all things, plants, animals,and humans alike. All things are equal and made of the same matter. Now, having said this, it is rather interesting that the Hindu's don't show more concern for their cherished river, Mother Ganga. As you said, "Mother Ganga fell to Earth from the sky and is her own goddess." Hindus think it is wrong to eat a cow because a cow is divine, but their own goddess can be polluted? I say all of this as an outsider. I am not Hindu and I don't attempt to try and know what one Hindu might say or think on this matter. I just find it odd and strange as you said.